At times our humble kitchen pantry does not get the due it deserves. It is often packed with superfoods that could bolster you from within and impact your overall health. Seasonal fruits, veggies and herbs are incredibly rich in a number of vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. You can have them separately or combine the goodness of some in one drink. Yes, you heard us! Detox water is a great way to make the most of the healing foods that are present around you.
In the detox water recipe that we have here, you would need some lemon slices, orange slices, pineapple cubes, cucumber cubes, fresh ginger, mint leaves, ice cubes and water. This summery and refreshing drink is replete with health benefits and can do wonders, especially for your immunity, weight management, digestion and kidneys. Here’s why:
1. Orange: The citric fruit is brimming with vitamin C that is responsible for strong immunity system and good skin. Oranges are also low in calories. Its rich anti-inflammatory properties help ease discomfort that comes with injury or swelling. The high potassium content of orange helps promote stable blood pressure levels.
The citric fruit is brimming with vitamin C
2. Lemon: Lemon is also a treasure of the antioxidant vitamin C. If consumed in good amounts, it could lead to healthier skin, stronger immunity and blood pressure levels. Lemons also help increase iron absorption and are also good for weight loss.
3. Pineapple: A treasure trove of thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin B-6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, manganese and magnesium, pineapple is easily one of the healthiest fruits you can add to your diet.
4. Cucumber: The vegetable is all water and nutrients. Did you know that about 95 percent of cucumber is just water?! Speaking of calories, cucumber contains only 16 calories per hundred grams as per USDA.
The vegetable is all water and nutrients
5. Mint leaves: Mint’s volatile oil menthol may help boost your digestion, give you fresh breath and ease cold, and keep nasal congestion and headaches at bay. Mint’s anti-inflammatory properties also help relieve irritation caused by coughing.
6. Ginger: Ginger is a traditional remedy for cold, indigestion, flatulence and nausea. According to the book ‘Healing Foods’ published by DK Publishing House, ginger comprises gingerol that has “analgesic, sedative, antipyretic and antibacterial effects, another component zingerone is an antioxidant.”
Ginger is a traditional remedy for cold, indigestion
You can rule out the ice cubes if you have sore throat and fear of catching a chill. You can also rule out a few ingredients, if you do not have them at your home. The idea is to make a quick and refreshing drink. There’s always room to experiment. However, make sure you only use fresh fruits and herbs. Detox water is a great way to keep yourself hydrated. A steady inflow of fluid ensures healthy skin, toxin-free kidneys, sustainable weight loss, balanced blood sugar levels and more.
Here is the full recipe of detox water, make it at home and let us know how you liked it.
(This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.)
About Sushmita SenguptaSharing a strong penchant for food, Sushmita loves all things good, cheesy and greasy. Her other favourite pastime activities other than discussing food includes, reading, watching movies and binge-watching TV shows.